Monday 30 May 2016

Iron Skull Best in Show

Happy bank holiday everyone!

Apologies for another interruption before more on the Praetorian v Bad Moon 5k battle report, we will get back to that soon, we have some more urgent news to get to today. This weekend I attended the inaugural 40k London GT and Iron Skull painting competition run by Siege Studios.

Tournament-wise I did pretty well and finished as the best Guard general with 4 victories and a loss. I played some fantastic games against some great opponents.

The real success for me was in the painting competition. I managed to come away with 1st place in Sci-Fi single miniature, Sci Fi Squad and Fantasy miniature, 2nd place in Sci-Fi vehicle/monster and even walked away with the Best in Show!

And to cap it all off the great guys at Siege Studios even took some proper photos of my models so you get a break from the rubbish I usually post. Lets take a look.

Above we have my winning 40k Squad which also walked away with best in show (and a cash prize!). Sadly Colonel Winterborne and the real command squad were busy on deployment in the best army nominations so this cobbled together rag tag bunch of officers were thrust into the competition!

The whole army even managed to win Best Army. Never have I been more proud of these fine men of Praetoria!


Next up the Macharius Vanquisher. It finished second behind a Tau mega-super-massive-suit (no idea what its really called) which was beautifully painted. The judge said it was a damn close run thing and picked me up on me not weathering my freehand panels very much. Solid feedback and one which will be taken into consideration when I come to add some extra weathering and tank stowage to this behemoth.


Next up the might Nork. While his brother ogryns were smashing face on the gaming table he was engaged in some part time modelling work and walked away with 1st place in the Sci-Fi single miniature category.  The judge was particularly complimentary of the flesh on this guy, noting the seamless blending and smooth transition. I think this is really one of my best painted models. I'm definitely going to pick up some more bullgryns/ogryns soon as I love the models and really enjoy painting them.


Finally a rare treat for those of you who also like Warhammer Fantasy! A Bretonnian Knight painted by me all of 15/16 years ago! Covered in countless hand painted flur de lys and a direct copy of the original 'eavy metal paint job. Years back in entered him into Golden Demon in the young bloods category and was a finalist. I didn't place in the top 3 (I was robbed!), the reason given by some of the GW staff that I knew was that the judges had concerns that I hadn't actually painted it...

It was a brilliant weekend, a big thank you to all the organisers of the London 40K GT, Siege Studios, my great opponents and those who voted for my army in the main competition.

I was definitely getting a nudge to enter more painting competitions and Golden Demon next time round... Thoughts?

11 comments:

  1. Awesome! Well deserved wins all around - good stuff, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous paint jobs, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well deserved. Your stuff is always great. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent results. In turn out and performance in the field; both things necessary for a Preatorian Officer's career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your models on the siege instagram and was like, I know this guy's blog haha. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy heck! Bravo my good man, on all accounts! Very much deserved awards and accolades.

    Now hurry up with that Batrep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll try to keep up the good work. I treated myself to something a little unusual for the army earlier this week. It's a real throwback to Big Toof River...
    Bat Rep will be on the way soon, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulation on all your success mate! Very well deserved.
    -Something unusual your say.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...from Big Toof River you say?
      ummm Tallarn Cavalry?

      Delete
    2. Something which has probably been removed from cannon like the praetorians themselves. Some intelligence they should have listened to at big Toof river...

      Delete