Sunday 13 January 2013

More WIP Thunderbolt

Photobucket

Hey everyone, welcome to another WIP Thunderbolt post. Hopefully I will have it finished in the next week as I have finalised what all the freehand will be so it's just a matter of painting it now.

Apologies for a post with few words, but the pictures say plenty and it'll give me more time for painting!

The following free hands are my initial outlines and will be detailed and neatened up as soon as I get the chance.

Photobucket

The callsign for the pilot is "Rook" and consequently the Rook chess piece is his logo. The pilot himself is Lt. Corvus.

Photobucket

I'm thinking the 219 could be the squadron.

Photobucket

In keeping with the chess theme his helmet is black and white checks. The same patter is on both sides of the nose.

Photobucket

The shield logo has a small IV in the top right hand corner and the shield has a lightning bolt motif. This is the squadron badge perhaps or campaign badge or something like that. The marks on the cockpit are kill markings

Photobucket

The base has been properly textures and has relief so it isn't just sat on a fat piece of ground. I think it looks much better.

Photobucket

The corpse has been weathered and burnt and I'm also much happier with the red and khaki now too.

Photobucket

A good view of the uneven ground and skeletal grimace of the unfortunate crewman.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

I can't wait to get this finished! Thanks for looking and all of  your comments up till now, I really appreciate the input!

6 comments:

  1. That is looking absolutely spectacular. Beautiful work, man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely aircraft. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O my, that is fantastic sir. Loving the chess markings and so forth - lots of good imaginative work there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers guys, I've finished all the free hand at last and now am starting on the weathering now. After that I'll be on to all the gems and then it should be done! Danger is when I paint one I'll be wanting to get another and start a squadron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is so epic! The base you have created is utterly amazing before you even look at the plane which is superb! Amazing work.

    Incidentally, if your our (British side) of the pond the RAF traditionally in WW2 (not now unfortunately) would label a plane with the squadron and usually a number for that airframe. However they used letters ie. EB (Roundel in middle) B was 41 squadron (I unfortunately don't know how squadron letters were allocated!) aircraft 2 (sometimes the aircraft number was in numerals rather than letter).

    All planes then (and now) would also have a serial number two letters (Eurofighter is ZJ) and then the airframe number in 3 numbers. ie ZJ343 would be the 343rd Eurofighter built. This isn't new and WW2 aircraft and today's would have that number on a number of times in different places but smaller than the side numbers. If you look on old and new there is usually one towards the rear of the fuselage sides.

    The Royal Navy was different and had a 3 figure side number like you have to identify aircraft. I may be wrong but I don't believe they indicated squadron, but a squadrons aircraft would usually have sequential numbers ie. 892 squadron might have 001-012 for instance.

    Anyway great work, sorry for mumbling on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info buffer, I've always wondered what it all meant!

    The Thunderbolt only has the gems to go... next post it will be finished!

    ReplyDelete