Monday 11 June 2012

The most beautiful tank in the world...

So as I mentioned at the end of my Badab report I went on a little forgeworld shopping spree, and after a two week break I decided it was time to get the paint brushes out again.

Behold the most beautiful tank GW or Forgeworld have ever produced... The Mecharius Vanquisher.



I've only just got started and after constructing it I have got to work building up the various colours. I've had to use new paints for this one and the hull is only on stage 4 out of about 5 or 6.

So far it was
1. basecoat XV-88
2 Reikland fleshshade
3. Drybrush XV-88
4. Drybrush Balor Brown

The light makes it look a bit of a weird colour in the picture but in the flesh it is a but less yellowy. I'm not sure which colour to go for next, I might need to buy a few more new paints to get one in-between balor brown and whatever the bleached bone equivalent is. After those that in-between colour and the bleached bone there will be another wash and then I will have to work out what to do with the rest of the tank. Im thinking some nice free hand and more of the bold red and white that features on my other tanks.

For the crew on this behemoth I'm going to wait till I've painted the tank and then see how I feel. I'm currently undecided as to whether I convert the Krieg crew, convert original Praetorians or make brand new ones with the GW plastics and various Praetorian extras.

I think I need to name this tank at some point as well, for that I will have to wait and see what personality it adopts.

Needless to say I can't wait to paint more of this tank.

Cheers!

9 comments:

  1. (I'm still only a lot jealous of you.)

    Good start on the colours Col. Will fit in nicely with the rest of your awesome Guard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good buddy. Will I be seeing this beauti at Warmarch in August? Perhaps if I'm lucky it'll give my Brass Scorpion something to set its sights upon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, must have been an expensive shopping trip! I've got quite a lot of the new paints as I have been playing around to get the right khaki colour. Tallarn sand might be what your after, it's like a less bright more, almost greeny yellow than balor brown. If not, zandri dust is probably another you will want to try, it actually comes out as a light browny cream. Either way ushabti is the new bleached bone, although I think it's a bit stronger yellowy/cream like than bleached bone. screaming skull might be better as a final highlight it's a whiter shade of ushabti, but I am no expert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bizarre looking tank, looks like an odd blend of a Naval ship gun turret mounted on a tank chassis... does it fire both barrels at once like a naval barrage or one at a time like a 'shotgun'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is indeed one of the best looking tanks FW has done, and I'm really liking what you've done with it so far! I've only ever had the battle-cannon-armed variant, and since then I've always wanted to do the Vanquisher variant. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely start ;) Praetorian Tank Crew eh, now thats an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always fancied one of these tanks done up with sandbags and crew that were clambering on it and stuff - just to add further to the undeniable WW1 aesthetic it has. Great start on a fantastic model!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was indeed an expensive weekend! Worth every penny, and this will make a great centrepiece for the army.

    Thanks for the colour info Buffer I'll have to check them out when I get the chance.

    The main gun is a twin linked vanquisher cannon so St8 +2D6 for pen, provides some much needed anti tank in my army.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't forget it also has an alternative option of firing off a St8 AP3 7" blast! Bye bye marines and those ever pesky AP3 Tyranids :O) Oh and a crew capacity of 8 just encase anyone tries to assault it out pops some melta armed vets.

    ReplyDelete