Monday 20 April 2015

Imperial Guard vs Aspect Warriors classic White Dwarf battle report

Hi everyone

Sadly my last post was more than a week ago so after almost 4 months I have eventually broken my blogging resolution. But I gave it a good at least I think! 

No new models painted unfortunately. Lots of real life style has gotten well and truly in the way. But I have put together a rather different post that I hope you will all enjoy.

All the new Eldar rumours and releases got me thinking back to 2nd Edition when you saw some truly wonderful Eldar armies that featured all of the apsect warriors and all manner of crazy wargear. The rumoured new rules seem to indicate a return to seeing this style of play with boosts for the aspect warriors and a considerable amount of D weaponry being fielded.

I'm very much looking forward to facing the new Eldar dex with my guard and the D weapons don't bother me in the slightest! they might as well be bolt guns given how squishy regular guardsmen are. The changes all look quite fluffy and characterful to me. 

Anyway, I digress, the changes got me thinking back about the good old days and my mind turned to all the white dwarf magazine I accumulated in the 90s (when the magazines were amazing). So this evening I ventured into the loft and found a few dusty old boxes stacked with the magazines! Not only the white dwarfs, but the citadel journals (they always had great conversions), and various game specific magazines for things like BFG and Mordheim.  

So without further ado here are some photos from a selection of white dwarfs and classic imperial Guard vs Eldar where we see the aspect warrior army!

Enjoy!


 photo IMG_4173_zpsp63nfepg.jpg

 photo IMG_4174_zpssflsax9a.jpg

 photo IMG_4175_zpsudsrs9mn.jpg

 photo IMG_4176_zpszoezqnmq.jpg

 photo IMG_4177_zps1qmdkxpk.jpg

 photo IMG_4178_zpsprloepku.jpg

 photo IMG_4179_zpsigsn0u78.jpg

 photo IMG_4180_zpsytfiafug.jpg

 photo IMG_4181_zpsutdez4dy.jpg

 photo IMG_4182_zpske8ymhfc.jpg

 photo IMG_4183_zpsuquvbguk.jpg

 photo IMG_4184_zpslx0fzcl0.jpg

 photo IMG_4185_zpsb4sz6uhr.jpg

 photo IMG_4186_zpsugfgzyfe.jpg

I absolutely love the old Epic range. Such a shame it isn't supported any more.

 photo IMG_4187_zpscwa0kedu.jpg

 photo IMG_4188_zps4iqdqvjn.jpg

 photo IMG_4189_zpsoq468xfz.jpg

Ichar IV was a big campaign run back in the early/mid 90s. Anyone else remember it?

 photo 7f08a10c-d061-4a5a-bf9f-150b8a62439c_zpsbqlsci25.jpg

Here is a part of the very first article that revealed the Eversor Assassin.

 photo IMG_4191_zpsoso5ibwq.jpg

Now some classic guard armies I found in various White Dwarfs.

 photo IMG_4192_zpsuwntifrb.jpg

 photo IMG_4193_zpsqhumhxaz.jpg

A few sneaky Praetorians made their way into White Dwarfs from time to time.

 photo IMG_4194_zpsx3qcsnqt.jpg

 photo IMG_4195_zps84fznffd.jpg

 photo IMG_4196_zpsbeaeez8o.jpg

 photo IMG_4197_zps6zdzyqa6.jpg

 photo IMG_4198_zpswbkofeyf.jpg

 photo IMG_4199_zpszqdegsuc.jpg

Fingers crossed I will finally have some painting updates for you all next week!

4 comments:

  1. Ah those were the days! the 90s were really the best times for white dwarf

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Dwarf was so much more awesome back then.

    A lot of memories in those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've given me a great idea for a blog project reading through that White Dwarf. Battle report re-fights! Take the forces from an old battle report and re-fight the game using the current rules. Could make for interesting reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy - I just adore this old-style guard. What I grew up with, and I still have a few old WDs kicking around - although we never bought them...

    ReplyDelete